Kids' Guernica Exhibition at the Zappeion Megaron Athens
KIDS’ GUERNICA is an international peace project for children through art in different places of the world to create peace paintings on huge canvases the same size as Pablo Picasso's "Guernica" (3.5 m × 7.8m).
KIDS’ GUERNICA project was initiated by ART JAPAN NETWORK in 1995, the year of the 50th
anniversary of World War II. It addresses children all over the world and calls upon them to express themselves through painting. More than 70 wonderful paintings were already completed for this project in 30 countries.
The exhibition at the Zappeion Megaron in Athens will show 15 of these paintings and one Kids' Guernica workshop will be held during the symposium:
One peace mural shall be painted with children from the 108 Primary School of the Municipality of Athens under the coordination of Thomas Economacos, Arts Coordinator of Poiein kai Prattein.
List of all the 15 exhibited Kids' Guernica Paintings [ pdf ]
One of paintings of the exhibition has be done by children from Chios and from Izmir, Turkey to underline the theme of the Symposium focusing on „Dialogue between Cultures“.
Kids' Guernica Events during the Symposium
Thursday Oct 18th
11.00 – 11.30
Outside Zappeion - Megaron
Introduction into the Exhibition and Kids’ Guernica Coordinators by Hatto Fischer, Poiein Kai Prattein together with Takuya Kaneda, International Coordinator of Kids’ Guernica, Japan, Iman Nouri, Lebanon, Jad Salman, Palestine, Sara Lowndes, Dubai, Bernard Conlon, Ireland, Savina Tarsitano, Martinique, Asit Poddar, India, Deniz Hasirci and Gulistan Banu Cel, Turkey, Efi Lipari, Greece and Thomas Economacos, Greece
Friday Oct 19th
15.00 - 16.00 at the Zappeion - Megaron
Discussion: Networking through Kids’ Guernica - aims and experiences
Chaired by Magnolia Albertazzi
- El-Hanan! Affection for Peace, Longing for Peace.
- Iman Nouri Mourad - Business consultant, resident of Tripoli
- The Experience of Martinique – the abolition of discrimination
Savina Tarsitano - artist, Italy
Yvette Galot - director of the Cultural Centre of Recontre Fonds Saint Jacques, Martinique
- The peace message of the children from Dubai – life hangs in a balance
Sara Lowndes - UEA, Dubai
- Children of Palestine
Jad Salman - Artist, Palestine
- Blind Boys’ Guernica
Asit Poddar Artist, India
- Wall murals in Belfast – a city moving towards reconciliation
Bernard Conlon - Journalist, Northern Ireland
- The dialogue between cultures – the Izmir-Chios painting
Deniz Hasirci - Assist. Professor, Turkey
Efi Lipari - Kids' Guernica, Greece
- The children of the 108th Elementary School – the power of abstraction
Thomas Economacos - artist, Greece
18.00 – 20.00
Reception at the Zappeion - Megaron organized by the European Union Club of Athens
- Presentation of the Peace Mural by the Children of the 108 Elementary School of Athens with Thomas Economacos (Poiein Kai Prattein)
- Presentation of the future plans of Kids’ Guernica in Martinique – Savina Tarsitano and Yvette Galot
Download the in-depth brochure for the Kids' Guernica Exhibition at the Zappeion Megaron:
[pdf (1.5 Mb)]
Download Iman Nouri Mourad's paper "El-Hanan! Affection for Peace, Longing for Peace."
Download Takuya Kaneda's presentation "The Networking of Kids' Guernica International"